Pages

LIFE, LOVE AND A SPLASH OF SOME GLAMOUR

Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Traditions...

To be quite honest I find it difficult to want to blog about anything. I've found it difficult to even read blogs since Friday. Everything seems so frivolous to me. I can't seem to do anything with out thinking of Newtown and those precious people. I just feel feel so guilty laughing or smiling knowing the immense pain others are struggling with. I've wrestled with posting anything today. I really have no creativity or anything important to say. This is a post I had sitting in my drafts for a few weeks. Since its about Christmas and the family I hold so precious I thought today might be a good day to share. 


There is something special about traditions shared with your family during the holidays. We have so many in our home. When I think back on it these traditions have made the best memories. My mom has always made so many memories for us. I hope that if Brian and I are lucky enough to have a family some day we carry on these traditions and create more. I'd like to share with you some of my favorite family traditions. 

My mom and I get together on a Friday night before Christmas and wrap all of our gifts. We usually combine wine now. Back in the day it was hot coco. We also pair it with our Christmas movie favorites, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Elf.

When we lived in the city as kids we would put on our pajamas, hop in dad's old Chevy Malibu and check out all the Christmas lights. We would drive around for hours. Usually my little brother would fall asleep but I remember always staying up till we would get home. Brian and I have started that tradition up with our family. Now we stop for Starbucks and we skip the pajamas. We like to find the prettiest and the tackiest. 

Every year for as long as I can remember we were allowed to open one gift. It was always new pajamas. Mom always wanted us to look good in Christmas morning pictures. Last year my mom thought it would be a good idea to stop giving pajamas because we have too many. She is right we have a lot but I was so disappointed. I begged her not to get rid of it. She had never realized it was a tradition we all enjoyed so much! 

Feast of the Seven Fish is an Italian Tradition. When my grandmother passed away my mom took over this tradition for my dad. His mom passed away on December 23rd so Christmas has been a difficult time for him ever since. My mom thought continuing this tradition would honor her. My mom cooks and cooks for hours. She serves 20 people all sorts of amazing food. On the menu in our home you could enjoy stuffed flounder, mussels marinara, fried calamari, fried smelts, spaghetti with clam sauces. Just to name a few. 

What are some of your holiday traditions growing up? Have you created some of your own new traditions? 

2 comments:

Meg said...

I know exactly how you feel about the guilt, it's how I feel, but this is such a beautiful post. I love all of your traditions. My family only ever did a couple of fish (we're Italian too) but I always remember going to Christmas Eve mass and smelling all the little old ladies who had been cooking fish for hours haha. I love the Christmas PJs tradition too, my family never did that, I was allowed to open one random present of my choosing, but I do the PJs now with my boyfriend's family. It's so fun that his mom includes me and his sister's boyfriend in on the tradition. Sorry this is such a long comment, it just feels so good to think about family right now. I hope you have a nice Monday, thanks for sharing, Kristina!

Jenn said...

I'm feeling the same way that you are....

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you. Leave some love!