Pages

LIFE, LOVE AND A SPLASH OF SOME GLAMOUR

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Guest Post - Alison of NYC Recessionista

Greetings, Pretty Rambles readers!  


Alison from NYC Recessionista here to kick off the next week or so of guest blog posts while Kristina goes off and gets hitched!  I am so incredibly happy for her that her big day is almost here -- I can't think of anyone more deserving of a happily ever after.


Over at my blog -- while I am usually talking about clothes, shoes, jewelry, and of course discounts and sales -- every once in a while I like to talk about other things related to women, pop culture, and life in general. Today I thought it might be interesting to take a look at something most women never talk about: scars, beauty marks and birthmarks.



(Source)

While most of us might look at them and cringe a little bit, or be self conscious about them, we ought to realize that these marks are something so totally unique and beautiful. No one else has anything quite like them. And isn't it the little things about someone that makes them unique the very things we love about them the most?


In my almost 30 years, I've collected some scars ... and they all have a story attached to them.


I honestly have no idea how I got this scar on my wrist, but it's a pretty nasty looking one ... I really can't remember it, so it must have been when I was a young child.  I am sure it had something to do with playing outside.


I got the chicken pox when I was about 4 or 5, and it left me with this scar right on my forehead.  Most of the time it's covered by my hair, but when I pull my hair back it's instantly noticeable. I was super self conscious about it growing up that I always had bangs. Practically everyone has a scar from the chicken pox though, so what's the big deal?


Not sure if you can even see this, but I have these diagonal lines permanently etched into my knee (dead center in the photo, just to the left of the shadow). It's from the kneepads I used to wear when I played high school volleyball ... repeatedly diving on the floor, the material would give me what felt like rug burn. It was crazy painful! I don't think it's ever going to go away ... and I still kind of miss volleyball.


This tiny scar on the side of my middle finger (the round mark next to my knuckle) has a really stupid and funny story. I was little (maybe 7 or 8 years old?) and I really wanted to go out and play, but for some reason whoever was watching us at the moment (I think it was my grandparents) wouldn't let me go outside, so I punched my hand through the glass pane of the storm door on our back porch. What on Earth was wrong with me?! 

 And then there are the beauty marks and birthmarks I've had since I was born. 


Yes, this is my belly button.  Yes, I've had this beauty mark next to it for as long as I can remember. Yes it makes me think of Madonna and Eva Mendes.


It's barely noticeable, but I also have had this dark birthmark on the side of my leg for as long as I can remember. I guess it kind of looks like a glorified patch of freckles, no?

What kind of scars do you have ... are you willing to share? Do you have any birthmarks or beauty marks that you really kind of love, or really kind of hate?

(All images courtesy of NYC Recessionista)

1 comment:

Monica said...

I have some pretty interesting scars as well and definitely a few from chicken pox!

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you. Leave some love!