Effacement is the term obstetricians use to describe certain changes in the cervix prior to childbirth. As delivery approaches, your baby will drop toward the cervix, or lower uterus. In response to this change in position, the walls of the cervix begin to efface, or thin out, to make room for the baby's passage. 80 percent effacement in combination with advancing cervical dilation---or opening---is typically a sign that active labor and childbirth are close at hand.
I'm trying not to get myself all worked up about progresing so fast but it's hard not to when your doctor preps you for your labor at your 35 week appointment. He did my strep test a week early just in case. I feel like there is still so much to do and not enough time to do it! Add in the holiday season I may be headed for panic mode
Here are some of the things that keep me worried at night:
- Most importantly will the baby be healthy enough for delivery before 40 weeks? Will the baby be born a healthy weight? Will his or her lungs be strong and completely developed?
Honestly the above is the only important thing I need to think about but there are frivolous things that I can't help to think about.
- Am I working myself up over nothing? Just because the I progressed so quickly the last 2 weeks doesn't mean I can stop all together and the baby will be born on time!
-Will my pump arrive in time? Insurance regulations only allow you to order it 30 days before your due date. It takes 2+ weeks to ship it.
- Did I pack all the right stuff for our baby bag? Enough stuff? Too much stuff? I still haven't packed the camera and video camera! I still need batteries and I need to charge the video cameraWho will take pictures?
- I didn't get my Christmas shopping done yet. I worry I won't have time to get everything for everyone! Will all the stuff I ordered on line get here in enough time for Christmas?
-Are those cramps real contractions. Am I over reacting or should I start monitoring them? I did download I iBirth calculator just in case.
- I don't even have our car seats in the cars yet. I don't even know how to install them.
- My husband's car is in the shop today. I'm so freaked I will go into labor today and he will have trouble geting to the hospital.
- I have so much stuff to be done at work too. I'm feeling overwhelmed just prepping for everything and everyone.
I can worry myself to the point of sickness.
Any suggestions from moms out there would be greatly appreciated.
Oh well, until then happy 36 weeks to us.